Formal Letter (Self Introduction)

 Subject: Self Introduction 


Dear Professor Blackstone


I am Zhang Qiyi, and I am writing this to introduce myself to everyone. 


I first grew an interest in engineering when I was in secondary school. I found myself loving my physics and mathematics lessons. My passion deepened as my seniors shared with me their experience in Ngee Ann Polytechnic Aerospace Technology, where I eventually took my diploma course. I was fascinated by the things I learnt in polytechnic as they were very interactive. Therefore, I decided to join SIT to further my studies.


My personal goal for this module is to learn how to express myself clearly to others. I think it is very important to present my thoughts and ideas to others in a way that they may understand easily. I also aim to improve my social skills to converse more effectively with others. With these, I will be able to converse with everyone more clearly. 


As an international student from China, English is a second language I picked up over the years of my education. There are still moments where I face the lack of appropriate vocabulary for formal occasions. However, I have since learnt its important role in connecting me to other people from around the world. Thus, I have developed a stronger motivation to master English as I wish to meet more people and learn more of their cultures. 


On the other hand, I do take pride in my communicative skills in leadership. From my experiences in polytechnic as orientation leader and ambassador of School of Engineering, I had multiple opportunities to lead with a participative leadership style. I enjoy conducting discussions and coordinating my team to achieve the most effective decisions. Hence, I believe my unique trait to be my genuineness. 

I look forward to our lessons and hope that I may learn more effective communication skills. 

Thank You! 

Best Regards 

Zhang Qiyi 



Comments

  1. Hi Qiyi, first of all thank you for your post, I enjoyed reading it. I would like to commend you on your writing, I would not have guessed that English is your secondary language! Just like yourself, I have also taken some leadership roles in polytechnic and I realized that we were both from Ngee Ann Polytechnic. I wish you all the best in reaching your language goals and I hope to know you better through this module.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jun Yang,

      Thank you for your time and effort to read my letter. I am really glad to meet you for this module.

      Regards,
      Qiyi

      Delete
  2. Dear Qiyi,


    I would like to commend on your introduction that was well written- I could not tell that you were an international student. The piece you wrote was concise and complete, as you hit all the pointers. Some points were elaborated sufficiently as well. However, the phrase “I also aim to improve on my social skills” were slightly broad, as social skills encompasses many abilities. Furthermore, the portion “I enjoy conducting discussions and coordinating my team to achieve the most effective decisions” does not link well to being genuine. These are the two weaknesses that I have found, but I do think that generally, the piece was well-written.

    Regards,
    Yon Jun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yon Jun,

      Thank you for you time for reading my letter. I will use your suggestions and better myself.

      regards,
      Qiyi

      Delete
  3. Dear QiYi,

    Thank you for this articulate, richly detailed letter. It's clear, concise and informative. You do a fine job addressing the assignment brief as you share your educational background, interest in engineering and experience in poly as well as your leadership skills, needs in terms of communication skills and your goals. It's also interesting for us readers to learn that you're from China and study at SIT as an international student.

    As mentioned, this letter is fluent, though there is one minor language issues to take note of in terms of sentence structure:
    -- As an international student from China, English is a second language I picked up over the years of my education. > (word order)
    As an international student from China, I picked up English is a second language over the years of my education.

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for the time to read my letter, and I will use your comments to improve my letter.

      Hope to see you around.

      Regards,
      Qiyi

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Summary Reader's Response Draft #1